Sunday 30 April 2017

4D Growth Scan

Yesterday we decided to do something particularly special and we had a 4D scan at This Is My London Screening Centre in Harley Street. We were a bit sceptical regarding whether to have one done as some clinics don't have trained professionals but my other half being a radiographer, his protective daddy instincts and his connections- we knew they were experts here and we were in good hands. The past six weeks have been pretty up and down so yesterday was, for lack of a better word, AMAZING! Seeing the little nugget did make me feel like the crazy hormonal pregnant lady who will cry at anything but I can honestly say nothing really compares to seeing him and having these videos and pictures. It was also very reassuring that they estimate he now weighs approximately 2lbs (916g) with super long legs (which he definitely didn't get from his daddy).

Looking at his little face, all I can see is a mini version of my other half. I am completely in love. The little nugget was in quite a mood and kept refusing to move his hands away from his face. It was almost like he knew that everyone was watching him. We did manage to get some really adorable pictures though. He had decided to bury his head in the most awkward position but we had the most lovely lady scanning us who was really determined to get us some pictures of his face.

The scan didn't just include getting to see the little nugget being grumpy just like his daddy when he gets woken up. They did a little MOT, checked his growth and the blood supply within the placenta and his estimated weight. They really put us at ease and it has lifted my mood immensely knowing he's okay and getting to see him. Seems like his head circumference and long legs are coming from my side of the family. His abdominal circumference was the only measurement that was below average, which is surprising considering how much I eat and how little fat I've actually put on, saying that I can't really turn to see if my bottom has gotten much bigger in the mirror. So I am sure it is all going to nugget and I just finished a slice of toast with nuttella after having granola for breakfast.

The one thing that did concern me a little was the umbilical artery pulsatility index reading was a little on the low side showing 0.94 where the average is 1.08 (Radiology Key). I think Radiology Key explains it in the best way I have seen so far online. As far as my research has taken me, it is only when reading is above average that this is a sign of possible pre-eclampsia and other possible problems regarding the placenta. 'A low pulsatility waveform is indicative of low distal resistance and high pulsatility waveforms occur in high resistance vascular beds' - Fetal Medicine. So this doesn't seem to be a problem with nugget but I might be picking my consultants brain at the next antenatal appointment!

In the mean time I just can't stop looking at him...


No comments:

Post a Comment