Monday 22 May 2017

A knock to the bump...

As a mum-to-be I have learnt a lot about pregnancy from asking everyone's trusted friend- Google. The majority of the time I have ended up more anxious than when I started, what I have learnt is that if you are really worried call the midwife or maternity triage. The midwife helpline is only open at certain times during weekdays here in London but triage is open 24/7 and have always been amazing and very fast in their response to the many issues we've had in this pregnancy.

The top line shows foetal heart rate and
the third line that looks like a bar code is nugget kicking.
One such issue was getting a knock to my bump yesterday. It was one of those weird accidents. It was 20 mins later and I still hadn't felt the little nugget move so we called up triage and they asked us to come in. It was pretty much straight into a cubicle and having a monitor put on. They found nuggets heart beat within seconds and also put another monitor on to see how much he moved. As soon as the monitor went on he wasn't having any of it and pretty much spent 30mins trying to kick and punch the monitors off. I sat there wondering if this meant that my son was going to either be really unsociable or could possibly have serious hyperactivity issues... Needless to say we felt very reassured that he was okay and surprised at how much he moved.

Commando dad... training taking place!
Now that we are 29 and a half weeks(!!!) and feeling him moving around so much (when he feels like it) I have been wondering about pregnancy and baby books. I had bought a book for nuggets daddy when I told him we were expecting. I was always in two minds about buying any books because of what happened at our 20 week scan but now it is becoming a reality that he might be with us soon... I'm starting to wonder about breastfeeding, sleeping and what is normal. I do have an amazing sister who got me a really informative book which answered questions I hadn't even thought of yet.

We found the online version:

These NHS books definitely will be keeping us busy whilst slowly trying to get more active from all this bed rest. One thing that I did notice about the books is that neither mentioned anything about cervical incompetence, even in the 'problems during pregnancy' section which includes minor and more serious problems. I was a bit disappointed with this considering how informative I am finding the books but from what I have seen so far I would definitely recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment